Mini Shepherd’s Pie with Leftover Pot Roast
This makes a cozy supper for two using leftover pot roast (see recipe - Click here for French Style Pot Roast recipe).
3 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup milk, warmed
1 large egg yolk
Salt and pepper
2 carrots, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 tablespoons water
½ cup frozen peas
10 ounces leftover cooked pot roast, shredded, about 2 cups (See recipe for French Style Pot Roast)
1 cup left over pot roast sauce (See recipe for French Style Pot Roast)
1 cup leftover pot roast onions and mushrooms (See recipe for French Style Pot Roast)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and then simmer potatoes until tender and a fork slips in easily when inserted into the center, about 20 minutes.
2. Combine the pot roast, sauce, onions and mushrooms in a saucepan and place over medium-low heat to warm slightly, about 5 minutes.
3. Combine the carrots and water in a microwave safe bowl and set aside.
4. Drain the potatoes well and return to the saucepan over low heat. Mash the potatoes thoroughly with a potato masher. Add the butter and stir until melted, then stir in the warm milk and egg yolk. Season with salt and pepper to taste; cover to keep warm while preparing the filling.
5. Meanwhile microwave the carrots and water, covered, on high until tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in the peas.
6. Spread meat mixture in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Spread carrots and peas over meat mixture. For the final layer, spread the potato mixture over vegetables to cover completely.
7. Bake until top is golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.