I recently was in NY with a friend who was guest hosting on the Joy Behar show. Rocco DiSpirito was on to promote his best-selling "Now Eat This!" Diet book (Find it here). He suggested trying his innovative low calorie recipe for Macaroni & Cheese that uses Greek Yogurt and Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar. I’m always a little skeptical of low fat versions of comfort food, but was pleasantly surprised to find this dish incredibly tasty. Serve it with a mixed green salad and it makes a great lunch or light dinner.
Rocco DiSpirito’s Lo Cal Macaroni & Cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces whole-wheat pasta
½ cup Onion-Garlic Puree (recipe below)
½ teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50% reduced- fat cheddar, such as Cabot
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
¼ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, such as Ian's All-Natural
¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray an 8×8- inch baking dish with
cooking spray, and set it aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and
cook according to the package directions, al dente; drain.
3. While the pasta is cooking, bring the Onion- Garlic Puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in the cheddar until it has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt. In a medium bowl, toss the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce to coat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the macaroni into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle the panko over the top. Top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake until the cheese has melted and the macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
1 large Vidalia onion, roughly chopped
9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
½ cup water
freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine the onion, garlic, and water in a microwave- safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until it is completely smooth. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours.