I’ve tried dozens of banana breads but this one has become the standard for the best traditional banana bread. No exotic ingredients, fancy spices, exotic nuts – just good old fashioned dense moist banana bread. I like to make the in 4 mini loaf tins, but it will also work fine in a standard 9x5 loaf pan.
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1½ cups flour (unbleached or white whole wheat)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. grated lemon zest
½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9x5 pan or 4 small loaf pans.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy with mixer.
3. Beat in eggs.
4. Sift the dry ingredients and combine with butter mixture using a large wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
5. Add the bananas, sour cream, zest and vanilla. Mix just to combine. Stir in nuts.
6. Bake 1 hour (40 minutes for small pans)