Almond Crusted Amaretto Brownies
This is a classic moist fudgy brownie enhanced with Amaretto and almonds, but you could also make them with hazelnuts and substitute Frangelico for the Amaretto. They work best in a 9” square pan so make sure to check the size of your pan. Perfect to take to a summer picnic, or serve slightly warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with a little extra liqueur.
¾ cup plus 2 T flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 ounces semisweet chocolate
3 ½ ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons Amaretto
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, lightly toasted
1. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 9 inch pan with butter; set aside.
2. Sift the flour and salt; set aside.
3. Melt both chocolates and butter in the top of a double-boiler placed over simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Place the sugar and extracts in a medium size bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl down with spatula.
5. With the mixer on medium-low, add the eggs one at a time, blending until the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds. Then scrape the bowl and blend until very velvety, about 15 seconds.
6. Add the flour mixture on low speed and mix for 10 seconds. Scrape bowl and complete the blending by hand with a few strokes.
7. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and sprinkle the amaretto over the batter. Tip the pan from side to side to ensure even coverage.
8. Sprinkle the nuts over the surface and bake the brownies on the center rack 45-50 minutes.
9. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 1 hour. Cut into 2” squares.