Spaghetti and Fried Eggs with Garlic and Black Sea Salt Flakes
I found this recipe in Cooking for Two and thought it sounded quick and tasty. The soft yolk in the fried egg creates a savory sauce with the pasta and parmesan cheese. Read the recipe a couple of times, there are several steps and it all comes together pretty quickly, so have everything prepped and ready to go.
2 slices Hearty White Sandwich Bread
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
½ pound spaghetti
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives or Italian parsley
2 large eggs, cracked into a small bowl
Black Sea salt flakes, or freshly cracked pepper
1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Pulse the bread in food processor to coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Transfer crumbs to bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and dry, about 20 minutes.
2. Begin to bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.
3. Meanwhile, place 2 more tablespoons of olive oil in a 10 inch non stick skillet and add garlic, pepper flakes and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Cook over low to medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, until garlic foams and is sticky and straw colored. Transfer the garlic mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Wipe out skillet with a wad of paper towel and set skillet aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to boiling water and add pasta, cook, stirring often until al dente.
5. Just before draining pasta, return the skillet to low heat for 5 minutes (to use to fry eggs)
6. Reserve ½ cup pasta water and then drain pasta and return it to pot. Stir in ¼ cup of pasta water, garlic mixture, 2 more tablespoons of olive oil, parmesan cheese, ¼ tsp salt and herbs. Cover and set aside to keep warm while making eggs.
7. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet and swirl to coat pan. Quickly add the eggs to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 2-3 minutes. Uncover eggs and remove from heat.
8. Loosen the pasta with remaining ¼ cup of reserved pasta water and divide between 2 plates. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Carefully slide 1 egg on top of each plate and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a few flakes of black sea salt.